Thursday, August 24, 2006

Summer of violence

I don't know what's in the water here, but there is a serious crime wave rocking the city of Philadelphia this summer. It's flown mostly under the national radar because national journalists have more important stories to tell, like the ten-year-old murder of a little white girl. The latest victim, like most in this city, was black, a mother of four. I haven't seen the statistics, but my guess is that other crimes are up as well. Just this year one of my friends has been assaulted, another has had her apartment totally cleaned out by burglers, and I've had 2.5 bikes stolen from my front porch. But you know, as John Street says, you have to expect "a certain level of violence" in the city.

Chalk this up as one more goddamned thing that has gotten worse under George W. Bush.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home